Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's in the Book!

I've been a school teacher now for 25 years. Right out of college (1976) I began teaching at Woodville ISD. I taught there for four years then taught one year at Pine Tree in Longview before retiring for 10 years.

I left school teaching then and was fortunate to work in the oil field business for awhile. I went from $10,000 a year to $25,000 a year. Five years later the price of oil dropped down to about $6.00 a barrel. Oil companies around the country scaled back on employees and oil holdings. Actually I walked away from the oil company making around $35,000 a year. But we were now living in Oklahoma. I actually told the company that I strongly felt that I was not doing what I was suppose to be doing with my life. We moved back to Longview, and it was another five years before I got back to where I was suppose to be, teaching school.

I know that God has our lives all planned out for us, and the 10 years away from school teaching had a purpose. I know for me and my family an apple on the teacher's desk back then would not feed a family of four. So during that time we lived comfortably.

I have been at Union Grove now for 20 years. In about 5 more years I will close the chapter of being a school teacher. My book may not be a best seller, but I hope that the students, parents, and fellow faculty members said he wrote a good book.

One of my class rules posted in my room says "It's in the Book" Which refers to the history textbook. But we all must write our own personal history book.

No comments:

Post a Comment